3rd May 11
Expression of Interest
The Arts Company Portland are offering an opportunity for a professional and /or experienced artist to spend time developing new work during the month of October 2011.
This residency will be linked to the Upwelling Festival in Portland, scheduled for 29 October. Artists are invited to come to Portland during the month of October, staying free of charge in the residence, with an aim to produce work linked to the themes of the festival for inclusion in the festival.
Artists of all genres are invited to apply including from the visual arts, writing, performing arts and film.
What the Arts Company will offer:
• A fully self contained apartment with kitchen close to the foreshore, free of charge. Families welcome.
• Access to facilities including studio space: Varieties of studios available, printmaking, fibre, woodworking, painting. and administrative support (negotiable)
• Access to the festival’s marketing for the artists work and a presence in the festival program
• A materials budget may be available but is dependent on funding.
Though very flexible, It is expected that at the end of the residency the artist has a work or works that can be displayed or used as a part of the festival. If the work is visual arts, for example, the exhibition space in the Arts Company will be available. The work produced can be ongoing and/or experimental or used by the artist to test a new idea. Though the space is available for the month, artists do not have to use the space for the whole time. These details are up to the discretion of the artist, in negotiation with the Arts Company. This is not a paid residency, artists will have to cover their own expenses including travel.
Examples of outcomes for artists:
- Use the Arts Company space for a project or exhibition
- Use the festival site for a project
- Make a project that is less visible but experiential (eg. a writing or sound project)
For an expression of interest form or for more information contact Nikki Pevitt:
[ph: 0408 536 349] [Email: firstname.lastname@example.org]